Before I get into today’s Speakers, I just want to report on what a great Conference this is! Everyone is so nice and friendly, I am rooming with Facebook friends, met lots of other friends as well as people I have interviewed. I am really enjoying the educational aspect of this Conference and the comradery of the Attendees.
Dr. Stephen Ledoux
My first Speaker today, wasIntroductory Behaviorology: A Book Discussion on his latest book – “Running Out of Time—Introducing Behaviorology to Help Solve Global Problems”.
I enjoyed Dr Ledoux easy way of talking with his interjections of humor and he was very approachable. He talked about the origins of this book, the contents, the purpose of this book and other books and how they relate to dog training and other companion animal behavior training , behavior science. Attendees found out how the natural science of behavior was the common theme of many other behavior training books.
Newsletter Marketing: Help Dogs While Growing Your Business with Veronica Boutelle
My second Speaker was Veronica Boutelle, MA Ed., CTC of Dogtec fame, she talked about “Newsletter Marketing: Help Dogs While Growing Your Business”.
We learned about the different uses, audiences and goals of print and email newsletters. content and design, guidelines, best practices. Also covered was choosing an email marketing service provider, sourcing images, the structure of emails – short and sweet, whether to have a single topic or 2 to 4 topics, how often to produce your newsletter. How to get readers by interviewing, featuring dogs and dog related businesses.
85% of content should be fun and informative while the other 15% should be info on your business – services, special discounts, upcoming events. She also gave tips on how to maximize your chance of being read:
- no lecturing,
- short sentences,
- using headers,
- bullets and lists,
- along with lots of photos – but watch that the dog shows the body language you want to convey.
I was so pleased to meet Veronica in real life since I had worked with her and Gina Phairas, when I won the APDT Business Makeover in 2013, she is as nice in person as she was to deal with online.
Get Dog Training Business Tips!
Receive valuable dog training business tips and resources every week! Subscribe to The Modern Dog Trainer now by submitting your name and email below.